Local Legacy

One of the Facebook groups I belong to posts pictures from my hometown’s past. This is Hamlin’s Hobby Toy Shop. This store made such an indelible mark in my childhood that I can still see the toys and games lining the shelves and the craft section that inspired me to at least try and be creative.  

During the holidays, the proprietor, Mr. Hamlin would decorate the windows with colored lights, and bright red bows marked all the aisles.

 

My sister’s birthday was Christmas Day, so as soon as I could in December, I’d go to Hamlin’s with my saved-up allowance searching for the best gift. Before I even knew how to count money properly, I’d line it up on the counter and Mr. Hamlin, would patiently help me add it up. Then he’d walk me over to the toys I could afford. 

 

In an adjoining room, Mr. Hamlin had a slot car track and model trains that he’d welcome children to use. Rainy Saturdays were magical for kids at Hamlin’s.

 

Shop local, buy local, and support local weren’t slogans or buzzwords back then—it was just part of growing up in my hometown.

 


Mr. Hamlin knew his young patrons and their parents. He attended the same church I did. He served for years on our school board. His store was his family’s livelihood, and our town was his home. 

 

I’m thankful to see these ideals coming back. Behind the local storefronts are men and women who have invested their efforts and money into bringing something special to their community. They pay their bills, support their families, and then give back to their town by making it more vibrant. Yet, they will never earn what their corporate competition makes. 

 

For local store owners, they work longer hours for less money because they love what they do and where they live. And when it comes to leaving a legacy, these are the people that don’t just sell merchandise, they make a lasting imprint in the lives of those they serve. And as Mr. Hamlin knew, there isn’t a price tag you can put on that.



The number of small businesses increased from 31.7 million in 2021 to 32.5 Million in 2022.


61.2 million people in the U.S. are employed by small businesses and a record number of 17 million new businesses launched in 2022.



 

Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad