Powerful Medicine

Being healthy is an incredible blessing. I'm reminded of this as I'm getting over a bad cold. Health has a lot to do with choices. We routinely tell teens, “Make good choices.” Alas, so should we. 

As college newlyweds, we had a brief stint delivering newspapers. This meant working every midnight to 4:00 am. We somehow got through those shifts on soda pop and tootsie rolls. Sugar became a source of instant energy. 

 

When you’re young you can eat poorly and survive, but now, at our age, poor habits show up in wonky blood tests.

 

So, this week we had an appointment with a dietitian. While we are long past those days of indulging in pop and tootsie rolls, sugar is still sugar and causes havoc—even fruit must be doled out in three small servings per day. 


There are so many little choices we make every day. They add up.

 

The photo above was on the dietitian’s wall. Life’s most powerful medicine is being with those you love. I agree.

 

So, I hang pictures of all my reasons to make healthy choices right on my refrigerator.








Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad