One Chance Meeting



I watched the bicyclist  approach the bus driver to ask how much the fare to Seattle was. He had a French accent. The driver told him, and then the man went back to his bike that was loaded down with strapped-on bags.

My husband, who’d taken me to the bus stop, immediately went over to the bike rider and inquired about his travel plans. I saw the man open his wallet and my husband exchanged his American money for the man’s Canadian bills. 

The brief conversation enabled him to learn about a book the man had written, and his plans to ride his bike from Seattle to San Diego—he’d come from Montreal, Canada.

This interesting opportunity to connect with another person was lost to me, because I had preferred to keep to myself and grab my favorite seat on the bus.

So, I watched through the bus window as they shared what most likely would be the only conversation they’d ever have. It was one chance for two lives to intersect. 

How many of those one chance meetings have I missed? Probably more than I’d care to know.  Sigh.

I watched as they shook hands, laughed, and my husband took his picture. 

I hope I can be more observant of opportunities that come my way to meet another soul, to ask questions, and welcome fellow earthbound travelers. 

As the Bible says, “Remember to welcome strangers, because some who have done this have welcomed angels without knowing it.”   Hebrews 13:2

Oh, and the book the man wrote? Angels of the Road.




Popular posts from this blog

Counting the Cost

Summertime Music

Homeless Winslow