The Music Journey


            No matter what decade you were born, 
    music has always been playing in the background.

While driving, I was listening to talk radio. The discussion turned to music and the commentator noted that Nirvana’s Smells Like Teen Spirit was 20 years old. She remembered buying the CD as a teen and now every time she hears it she recalls exactly where she was and how she felt at the time. Music just has that kind of power. 

I had a two-hour drive ahead, why not go back in time? I switched to a classic rock station and let the miles bring musical memories.

Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac) started the FM commercial-free set. I turned it up and opened the sun roof. A glorious day for a drive. Since no one could hear me, I sang along, remembering my restless older-teen years. 





The raucous You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet (Bachman-Turner Overdrive) followed and had been a fitting theme song for our high school football team on their way to earning a state title. Next up, I recalled my first job in the local music store when I was selling Elton John’s double-album, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

You could name that tune with just the opening notes—and I still have the piano music I bought for Stairway to Heaven (Led Zeppelin). 

My friend got his first speeding ticket while listening to Radar Love. He just couldn't help it, he tried explaining to the cop. Pink Floyd’s Money reminded me how I nearly wore off the vinyl grooves on my friend’s borrowed album, Dark Side of the Moon. 






It seemed fitting that Hotel California was recorded the year I graduated, since high school seemed like a place "you can check-out anytime you like, but can never leave".





For about sixty miles I traveled back to a time before long-term commitments or career. With the sun on my shoulders, I listened until the radio signal faded away. 

In the miles of silence that followed, I was glad that I didn’t stay too long with the memories of who I once was. 





Oh sure, it was fun being young and free, but as I got closer to home, I knew that the best memories came from the music that came after—when it was shared with someone I loved. 

Music follows us through life, reminds us of our journey over the years, and can even inspire us.  In the words of Bread, “Life can be short or long…. And if I chose the one I’d like to help me through, I’d like to make it with you.”

What does music do for you?

Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Sexy Selfies: Posting for attention

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?