Hard Rock Sense


First of all, it was an accident. We were floating homemade wooden boats in the creek when one got lodged in the mud on the other side. As grandpa and grandma worked to free it, unbeknownst to us, our young grandson did his part to assist with a rock. I learned several critical lessons:
  1. Do not stand between a grandson, a rock and a stuck boat.
  2. My grandson could potentially have a future as a baseball pitcher.
  3. I have far greater appreciation for the story of David and Goliath.

In the moments following the accident, my grandson also learned some important lessons:
  1. It's too late to stop a flying rock.
  2. Hurting someone else hurts you too.
It had been a bull's eye to the brain. Thankfully, I could think straight afterwards, although the first night I did put the leftovers in the cupboard rather than the refrigerator. And the next day, I flunked the mental acuity test the doctor gave me; it looked strangely similar to the one they give drunk drivers. The diagnosis was for a few weeks of foggy living, and a stern warning not to hit my head again.

While I healed, I struggled with: 
  1. Focus and attention span. Things I loved, like reading and writing, were tough to do.
  2. Walking without dizziness. I appreciate why the elderly walk a bit slower.
  3. Normal Routine. I learned that Type B works when my Type A didn't.
I'm all healed, but getting hit helped me appreciate what's inside my head. I mustn't take my brain for granted. There's too much to risk. Accidents happen and they always catch us a bit unprepared. I know we can’t control everything. But sometimes we open the door and welcome misfortune. 

Maybe you're like me and not an extreme adventurer. If that's the case, what usually happens is that you'll end up loving someone who is. Here's some advice for those extreme sports enthusiasts: adventure is one thing, risky behavior another. 


When we love someone, we take care of ourselves--so that those we love don't have to pick up the pieces of our broken lives.  And for those unexpected accidents, I'm thankful to know that God can heal us.

I
Taking a hit to the head forced me to slow down. As I sat staring out the window, I did wonder when I would be "normal" again. I'm now happily back to my Type A hyper-kinetic self. 


I'm determined to take good care of my brain from now on---and please forgive me if I keep reminding you to take care of yours too. 


P.S. If you want to speculate on the future pitching career of my grandson, you're welcome to join me. 

Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Sexy Selfies: Posting for attention

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?