Go ahead and blame me


There’s a reason our nation is struggling. Look over here. It’s me.  I’m part of the problem. For most of my life I took everything that was offered. Because freedom was easy to have, I didn’t bother to think about its cost.

I never went hungry or slept in fear. I had a free public education and college was so affordable I could pay for it with a government grant, a part time job while eating on food stamps. Freedom allowed me the chance to try out several career choices before landing where I have. 

I was able to buy what I wanted and watch my own purse. No one told me what to put in my own cupboard—or where I should live.

No one told me whom to worship, or how, or when, or where. The choice was mine.

I was able to be a liberal, or a conservative, or neither. No one ever forced me to vote. Nor did I worry about my future if my candidate lost. Truthfully, whatever happened in DC didn't concern me. Yes, it's out of control because I allowed it.

Throughout my copious consumption and neglect I didn’t consider the cost of my choices. This flagrant disregard now causes the next generation to carry my over-burdened government. Someone has to pay for my excess. Is this why the youth are so angry? Yes, I suppose so. Plus, they only want what they saw others have.

Our nation is not as powerful, nor rich, nor as hopeful as it once was. We’re going backwards. But perhaps that isn’t such a bad thing. If we go back far enough we’ll recall the words of our first president at his inaugural address:




“The preservation of the sacred fire of liberty, and the destiny of the republican model of government, are justly considered as deeply, perhaps as finally staked, on the experiment entrusted to the hands of the American people.” George Washington



We’ve been entrusted to preserve our liberty. Those American hands include mine. I’m just sorry it took so long for me to understand. More consumption won't save us. Nor will blaming others and expecting "someone" to fix it.

Our nation is broke but not broken. What we need, we can't buy. Our blessing was never in the things we could get at the mall; our blessing came from knowing the One who gave us our nation.

Our Founding Fathers believed that by seeking God first, and living right, he would give them everything they needed. I believe that's the missing link. Until we come to God it won't really matter who sits in the Oval Office. Our story needn't end here. I'm asking God to rededicate my hands to help preserve our liberty. With enough American hands, we can be strong again.

Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Sexy Selfies: Posting for attention

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?