Derailed by Distractions



As I did my morning work out, I listened intently to the admonition coming from the TV. The advice was to cut the distractions in my life.  I needed to evaluate my time-wasters.

I have the same 24 hours that I’ve always had, but my clock seems to run faster than my body holds up. I'm easily derailed by a To-Do list that's longer than my day. 






Work life takes a big chunk. So my leftover time is valuable. However, I’m not entitled to sloppy living just because some things aren’t fun. I do my daily workouts before I'm fully awake, which helps, trust me. Doing dishes, washing clothes and housework take time, but that's my part of the deal--and it doesn't take all that much time.

It's the distractions that steal away precious time. My computer offers multiple temptations. I’m continually lured into the economic headlines and can spend a whole evening reading things that won't change my life. Of course, for fun I head to facebook—I can’t forget to count that time too. I should ask, what else could I be doing?



God has given me certain skills and a timeline to use them. It's my fault if I choose to get derailed by distractions. It's probably hitting me harder because I'm getting older.






When I reach the end of the day, I must ask myself, was there something I missed doing? Was there someone I neglected because I didn’t bother to look?

I can have a clean house and an empty heart. I can understand economics but be broke in my spirit. Or my time can be an investment for a richer life that has nothing to do with money.

Interestingly, I've also noticed that those who seem happiest are usually involved in helping others.

So as I celebrate the Christmas season, I have a sense that the best use of my extra time may be to give it away so I can help bring joy to others---and joy is a gift no one wants to return.

Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Sexy Selfies: Posting for attention

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?