Made in USA


Dear Product Review Department,


I realize it’s highly unusual to receive a product review after the product has been owned for over twenty-five years, but it’s important for you to know the exceptional quality of your dual wheel six-cube wheelbarrow.


It has spent the last quarter century living in rural woodlands hauling dirt, rocks, firewood, and more than its share of small stumps. I named her Big Blue. It seemed that there was absolutely nothing she couldn’t haul until last Friday.


I admit, on that fateful day, I tried making one trip rather than two, and it was a bit overloaded, but Big Blue just carried on like it was no big deal. It was totally operator error that caused the mishap. I was navigating along a steep cliff, and since I’d overloaded the wheelbarrow, the load shifted. 


I gasped as Big Blue went over the edge of the cliff. She rolled down the embankment at breakneck speed, seeming to know how to avoid the trees and old stumps. It was like she was on a downhill slalom ski run. She came to rest about 250 feet down the cliff nestled between two trees. She’d lost the load on the way down, so she just sat there empty, waiting for her next run.




I peered over from my perch high above wondering if Big Blue was worth retrieving. What was I thinking? Of course she was worth retrieving. However, my trip down the cliff was not nearly as smooth as Big Blue's. I slid and clung unto vegetation. I managed to slide into a patch of stinging nettles. After that, I lost my footing, and let's just say I filled my drawers with dirt.


If wheelbarrows could laugh, I’m sure Big Blue was having a time of it. I slid to a stop at her resting place. She was as perfect as ever. I looked back up to the top of the cliff and saw our dog Annie, peering over at me skeptically.


I analyzed my strategies to get Big Blue back up the hill. None of them would be easy.  I thought making a zig zag approach would be best. Big Blue preferred that I go first and drag her behind. We went that way until the cliff was at it’s steepest. I couldn’t drag her one.more.foot. It was time to climb up and confess to my husband what I’d done. 



His quad and winch made quick work of Big Blue's final ascent. Back on top, she was as ready to roll as before, proudly bearing her, "Made in USA" stamp.


Thank you for building things so strong that they don’t need to be replaced. It cost you more in time and quality materials, but look at the results! That’s getting harder to find today. Yet, if it was possible 25 years ago, it should still be possible today. 


Your wheelbarrow has inspired me to do better. I'm also "Made in USA". I should have the strength of character to haul life's stuff, withstand unexpected slides, offer help when needed, and keep on working—that’s the American way, right? Built to last.


Sincerely,

Karen Farris


Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Sexy Selfies: Posting for attention

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?