Once a Day




I heard the online sermon almost a month ago. The pastor’s words made sense, and since it was recorded, I listened again. I even took notes. But I didn’t do what he suggested. It was such a simple thing, easy enough to implement, but since I didn’t start, I never saw the difference it might have made.


So, what was so hard to do? Invest just a little bit of time, once a day, to encourage someone else. Maybe it would be at work, or at home, or an online friend, or a person on the bus, or at a store. Just do something once-a-day to make someone’s day better. 





It’s kind of like the pay-it-forward thing, but without the cost. The only cost is time, and a willingness to look for some goodness to share. What surprised me is that after a month, I still remember the sermon, but I didn’t invest the time in doing it. 


So, this week, I pulled out those sermon notes. It will become my once-a-day investment of goodness—writing someone, texting, emailing, saying something, or calling and sharing some kindness. They say it takes about a month for something to become a daily habit. This is a habit I’d like to have. I’ll get back to you a month from now and let you know how my “once-a-day” is going.


Deanna Nowadnick, an inspirational writer, has given this an acronym: WOLK…words of loving kindness. She encourages us to walk the WOLK. I like that.


What better season to begin than now? The pastor must have sensed that extra encouragement would be the real gift to give and to receive this season.









Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Sexy Selfies: Posting for attention

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?