Where Would you Rather Be?



Holidays are different this year.....



Back when my routine cancer screenings happened in December, the waiting area was always delightfully decorated, and my fellow patients enjoyed talking a bit more.


I could think of three places I’d rather be right now,” the woman said to no one in particular.


She then took a seat across from me in the waiting room. Several others were in seats facing the large windows overlooking Lake Union. I glanced up from my magazine and smiled. I silently agreed. I wish I didn’t have to make time for three appointments shoe-horned into a single day.


It seemed as though she chose a seat near me in order to stretch the conversation beyond the quick niceties shared in a waiting room. I set my magazine down.

I asked, “Where would you go first?”


I saw the beginning of a smile, as she pondered.


That’s easy. I’d go to New England in the autumn when the leaves are their most vibrant.” I nodded in approval. I told her I’d never seen it for myself, but I’d seen glorious pictures.





I smiled and asked, “Where next?”


I’d visit the sandy shores of St. Petersburg, Florida. It’s warm and I’d walk barefoot on those amazing beaches.” We both glanced out at the Pacific Northwest drizzle. 


Now I was curious where she’d go for her final destination. I asked. But she didn’t reply. I wondered if she’d heard me, or if perhaps our conversation had ended as quickly as it had begun. She was staring at the Christmas tree. It’s twinkling lights a reminder that we were just a few weeks away from the holiday.





I’d be home right now if I could. I’d be decorating and planning for the family to visit.” I nodded. “I will next year, when I’m not fighting cancer.” 


As best I could, I told her that cancer was a battle worth fighting so she could once again visit her favorite places, and most of all be with her family celebrating together. Then we sat silently. I think we both knew the best gift in any season is time with those we love. 


In a year like this one, it could well be worth the sacrifice of being together with those we love even though it is where we’d all rather be. If we have our health, we have an amazing gift that means the most to our families—and for the future that we can soon share.



Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad