Chained Forever




I routinely walk the same stretch of beach. It’s peacefully quiet, if you absorb the wave noise and enjoy the eagle chatter. I walk past the same huge boulders along the shore and the same huge old growth driftwood logs that rest at the high tide mark—they are much too big to be moved by the elements. They are like old friends that I see often.

So, when a new log rolled up and joined the others, I stopped. It’s not uncommon with the winter tides, that small logs and driftwood stumps rest along the water’s edge, but this visitor looked like it was here to stay. Massive in width, and riddled with aged holes, it had come in on a huge king tide and now rested securely with its old growth neighbors.


The log is bound with metal chain links bigger than my hand. This chain and log once teamed up in an old-time logging operation off in some distant bay. Now the chain refuses to let go, and the log has grabbed hold of the links as if to remain together even though their work is long done.


I’m sure it has a story to tell, but the heavy chain reminds me of a love story. A love so strong it won’t let go. 




I know this log won’t be chained forever. Someday, someone in a future generation will walk this beach and find the iron chain, but the log will have finally drifted away. For now, as I walk the beach, I have a daily reminder that God’s love is secure, and will never let me go. Chained forever to God.



It's been a tough week for love and loss. We were warned about the Dark Winter with record numbers of deaths across our nation. And for some, it's the unexpected loss that takes you to your knees. So many are hurting with unforgettable heart wrenching deaths. It's truly a dark winter.


I pray they can find this chained-forever-with-God kind of love. It doesn’t replace the love we have lost, it just helps us bear the losses, because God knows our pain and heals our hearts—one day at a time, until a new season comes.


Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad