Vision Check



Getting my eyes checked each year reminds me that I’m blessed to be able to see at all...... It was a sunny spring day in my sixth grade classroom when it happened.

I was seated at my desk in the back row. Our teacher, Mrs. Yule, was explaining the assignment at the front. In a quick instant, she became an outline. It was like a light was switched off. The window in the corner had sun streaming through it, but it became all gray. Then, all I could see were outlines of my classmates. It was scary and I knew something was terribly wrong.

A quick succession of urgent calls were made. My parents loaded me in the car and headed to a neurologist in Seattle. It was quiet during the long drive. Dad told me to shut my eyes and rest. I later found out they suspected I had a brain tumor. But when the doctor looked in my eyes, he called an ophthalmologist.


My optic nerves were severely inflamed. He suspected that I’d contracted the flu and instead of the usual symptoms my eyes took the brunt of the infection. No tumor, but now I could only see vague black and white outlines.




I’m sure lots of medicine was involved in my treatment, and I couldn’t return to school. It was literally a “wait and see” if my vision would improve. Like a flu bug, the doctors hoped in a week I’d get better. Early one morning, my dad came in and placed his hand on my forehead. I asked him, “Do you think I’ll see better again?” 


“I think so. But no matter what, you can always see with your heart.” I didn't really understand what he meant.


Several days later I could see faces, colors, and could read again!  But things in the distance were terribly blurry. On my return to school, I noticed Mrs. Yule had moved my desk to the front of the classroom. When my near-sightedness didn’t improve, new glasses gave me back the vision I’d lost.


Of course I didn’t realize then how fortunate I was. Having vision allowed me to finish school more easily, learn to play tennis, ski, and drive a car. I also could see people’s expressions, and better understand their feelings. I have been able to see the places I traveled and as I got older, I watched my kid’s concerts and ball games. Now I love seeing my grandchildren grow up, and each day I see the love in my husband’s eyes.



I've finally learned what Dad meant. Seeing with my heart means seeing with eyes of love.


 Sight is what your eyes produce. Vision is what your heart produces. Never let what you see affect your vision. 


I’m thankful for good eyesight, but I pray I can have good vision.



Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad