The Old Dog and the Beach



We often pass the twosome along the shoreline, waving each time. The older woman uses a sturdy walking stick and always wears a sweet smile. Her faithful old Labrador plods by her side. 


When we stopped to watch the fog rise above the water, the Labrador took this as an invitation to slowly wander over for a friendly hello.


We quickly made a new canine friend and introduced ourselves to her sweet-smiling owner—who has walked this beach for 30 years. Bee, the Lab, used to walk faster, but at ten-years-old, only her happy tail still moves fast.


My grandma liked to remind me that if I lived long enough I’d be old one day. She said being respectful to the elderly was more than kindness, it was an honor they deserved. 


Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve noticed that as our culture celebrates youth, it’s easier to miss the wealth of truth held by those much older. We risk losing a perspective that was hard-earned. Yes, Grandma, you were right about many things. It just took me getting older to realize it.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad