Working on Step Two


You couldn’t miss the sign—it was at the intersection of the little town’s busy shopping district. Since I was walking I had longer to stare at it and let the words sink in. Step one has always been easier for me than step two. I kept walking.


Further ahead of me on the sidewalk, I watched an elderly man pushing his walker up the gradual incline of the street. He’d been shopping, because I noticed two grocery sacks dangling from the walker’s handle bars.


As he was negotiating a curb, his walker tipped and one of the bags fell, but thankfully, the man didn’t. A car immediately pulled over, the driver got out, checked on the man and retrieved his belongings. I could see the two having a friendly conversation. The older man nodded his thanks, and he pushed on as the younger man got back in his car. It all took place in less than two minutes.


I had just witnessed Step Two right in front of me. I don’t know the religious convictions of the man in the car, but I know he just demonstrated what loving your neighbor looks like. 


With as much anxiety, sickness, death, division, and heated controversy around us, is it still possible to love like God wants? Yes, I saw it happen.


Maybe Step Two is simply looking out for others and being ready to “pick up spilled groceries”.  


It was just the lesson I needed. Thank you, God.

 

Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad