Drive Time

I snapped this photo of my husband and his sweet mother while we were driving together. I was sitting in the back listening as they reminisced. It was the same road they had traveled back in the day. We were out on an errand, but ended up enjoying the sights. I learned more about the boy I married and his loving family. They had worked hard and also worked through the tough things life brought their way.

If you still have a parent or grandparent that you can pick up and take for a ride, I highly recommend it. They will give you nuggets of wisdom and a glimpse of their journey from a perspective that has seen more days than we have. Your journey was part of their journey too.



No family close by? An elder in the community is special too—like Marie. We used to pick her up from her senior facility on our way to church. She always wore a smile and exclaimed that she was “happy as a clam in high tide.” I learned about her life as we took the same road week after week. 


These are the drive times that linger in my heart long after the engine has cooled. Ignore the cost of gas, and just drive somewhere with someone who can fill your heart and mind. It’s worth every penny.

Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad