Sign of the Times


I drove past the sign, decided to pull over and take a picture. It’s how many of us feel. We have seen the horrific images from Ukraine, but we are so far from their war. Even though we have some troubles here at home, we’re still very blessed.


This week I needed to find some old paperwork. I knew it was in the box marked 1980-1986. Seeing all the old check registers was a humble reminder of our meager finances as young farmers. 


But as I sorted, I recalled a national incident that happened back then. I had just arrived at my bookstore job, when I heard there had been an assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan. 



What I remember most about that day was what the president said as he was wheeled into surgery to have the bullet removed from his chest. President Reagan smiled weakly and quipped to the surgeons, “Please tell me you’re Republicans.”


Taking President Reagan’s hand, the surgeon replied, “In here, we’re not Republicans or Democrats. We’re all Americans.” 


That comment stayed with me all these years. We’re all Americans. Times are tough, maybe it feels like a nightmare, but we’re all Americans and together, we'll pull through. 


Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad