The Gift of Keeping Watch


Most mornings I rarely sleep past five. But on this particular Christmas morning, I was awake even earlier because I wanted to be ready to help make breakfast and all the work that comes with a family crowd. It had been a few years since our family had traveled to spend Christmas with the folks and the rest of the family. 

The stillness of the hour was noted by the steady ticking of the grandfather’s clock. I sat on the couch and looked across the frozen landscape outside.

 


I heard footsteps approaching and it was my father-in-law, Conward. He was also an early riser—as well as one willing to stay up late if someone needed to talk. 

 

I motioned for him to come in and he sat across from me in his comfy recliner. We chatted softly so we wouldn’t wake my daughter and her family, and the others. I think we both saw the specialness of the hour, a chance for a quiet start to Christmas.

 

Other family members would be arriving later, and the house would soon be packed. The people-volume would be turned up, and these still moments would be a memory.

 

So, we savored it.

 

“What does this day hold for you?” Conward asked.

 

I knew he wasn’t asking about the day’s activities or the rambunctious games that would be part of the evening. It was much deeper than that.

 

 “It seems like I always get too focused on making sure people are fed, dishes are done, and we’re not tripping over discarded ribbon and wrapping paper.”

 

Conward nodded.

 

I continued, “I know one day I’ll probably look back and realize I missed conversations I could have had.”

 

With his signature humor, he patted the arm of the recliner and said, “I do my share of work too—right from here. I am working at keeping watch.” 

 

I smiled. 

 

He advised, “Make time to watch your kids and grandkids. Each year will be a bit different. If you watch, you’ll see it. Eventually, you’ll be like me, keeping watch from a recliner.”


 

Neither of us knew this would be our final Christmas celebrated with all the family gathered. God knew it though, and He had me “take a few moments to watch” so I could savor it years later. The gift of keeping watch is another legacy left behind for me to carry forward. And I am.




Long ago, shepherds were keeping watch over their flocks and they were blessed to be the first to receive the wonderful news of their Savior’s birth. Merry Christmas, my friends.


“Glory to God in the highest,
And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!” Luke 2:14


Popular posts from this blog

Dreaming the Dream

Wild or Tame? Which One Are You?

The Quiet Dad